In 60 words or less, how would you describe your approach to staying healthy? This is the question Mantra Magazine asked me to answer for a feature in their December issue (look, that’s my teacher Rod Stryker on the cover!). If you’re like me you have 60 ways to stay healthy, not just 60 words. Even though it was torturous to carve my answer down to 60 words, I found the exercise interesting and illuminating.
For instance, my initial brainstorm included the following:
- eating freshly cooked meals
- rubbing warm oil on my feet at bedtime
- eating lots of vegetables
- listening to what my body really wants to eat
- Attention to my body from within: food, exercise, dance
- Attention to my body from external sources: bodywork, scrubs, long soaks in hot springs
- Keeping my mind calm: meditation, check-in conversations with friends
- Staying spiritually connected: meditation, group practices, reading, dancing!
- Social involvement: conversations, dance, gatherings,
- Alone time: reorganizing my closets, bookshelves, gardening
- Connection to the natural world: walks in nature, travel, breathing deep, gardening
So, for my own health, I’ll be offering sessions on self-empowerment, communication, lifestyle changes and removing the obstacles that hold you back from achieving your own personal wellness and goals. Feeling self-empowered is a key part of my own ability to keep myself healthy, and this is what I want to share.